A Dutch municipality is partnering with a local university to road test pavers that purify the air.
A Dutch municipality is partnering with a local university to road test air-purifying pavers.
Car exhaust fumes contain nitrogen oxides, which cause acid rain and smog. This problem may be partly solved by using air-purifying paving stones, which were developed at the University of Twente.
Based on a Japanese invention, the paving stones featuer a top layer made of air-purifying concrete. The concrete contains titanium dioxide, a photocatalytic material that uses sunlight to convert the nitrogen oxides in the air into harmless nitrates. The rain then washes streets clean. As an added bonus, the stones repel dirt.
The effectiveness of the stones was first demonstrated by university researchers in the school's concrete research laboratory. Now the municipality of Hengelo has made a location available for testing the stones in practice. The street will be divided into two sections, one half will be paved with conventional stones and the other half with air-purifying ones. The air quality will then be measured.
The road reconstruction is expected to be completed by the end of the year. Measurements will start early next year, with the first test results expected around the summer of 2009.
Design Futures Council Announces Changes to the Nantucket Principles with a new Commitment: The Portland Promise Read full »
Championing the business case for sustainability became his mission. Read full »
Fifteen individuals honored for their contributions leading to innovative design Read full »
On May 16, Phil Enquist, partner in charge of urban design and planning for Skidmore, Owings & Merrill, addressed the graduates of the University of Pennsylvania School of Design. Read full »
DI.net RSS Feeds
DI.net on Twitter
- Julia Morgan Awarded 2014 AIA Gold Medal | ArchDaily ow.ly/rIknL13 hours ago by @dinet
- “New Radical Pragmatism”: The 21st Century’s Emerging Style? | ArchDaily ow.ly/rHDPp19 hours ago by @dinet
- Core77's 2013 Ultimate Gift Guide: Worldly Possessions Worth Gifting - Core77 ow.ly/rHvQ420 hours ago by @dinet
- 27 of the Most Eye-Popping Cargo Aircraft Ever Built ow.ly/rFYP922 hours ago by @dinet
- What Industrial Design Renderers Know that the General Public Doesn't - Core77 ow.ly/rFY9T1 day ago by @dinet